Pennsylvania Chafee Education and Training Grant Program
This federally funded program offers grants to Pennsylvania undergraduate students aging out of foster care who are attending an eligible postsecondary institution.
PHEAA administers the Pennsylvania Chafee Education and Training Grant (Chafee ETG) Program on behalf of the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services as authorized under the Foster Care Independence Act of 1999 and amended by the Promoting Safe and Stable Families Amendments of 2001 and the Family First Prevention Services Act of 2017.
To be considered for this grant, you must:
- Be a Pennsylvania resident
- Be eligible for services under Pennsylvania's John H. Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood
- Be identified as a youth in foster care or a youth discharged or adopted from foster care at age 16
- Have not reached the age of 26 by July 1 of the upcoming academic year for which Chafee ETG is received
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate, at least half time in a college or career school that is approved by the U.S. Department of Education for Title IV student assistance programs
- Demonstrate financial need for the grant (as determined by the postsecondary institution)
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (as determined by the postsecondary institution)
- Not be in default on a federal student loan or owe a refund on other Title IV aid.
- Have not received Chafee ETG for 5 years (consecutive or not), defined as 10 semesters or the equivalent, for undergraduate study
- Have graduated from high school or have received a Commonwealth Secondary School Diploma
The maximum award under this program for 2019-20 is $5,000; award maximum for the 2020-21 year has not yet been determined. No award may exceed your cost of attendance minus any other financial aid you receive. Please note that the maximum award amount is subject to change due to Federal Grant levels.
Please note that the 2020-21 Chafee ETG application deadline is December 31, 2020.
- Complete the FAFSA® (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Download and complete the Pennsylvania Chafee Education and Training Grant Program Application (PDF).
- Mail your completed application to:
State Grant and Special Programs
P.O. Box 8157
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8157
Fax: (717) 720-3786
You must complete a renewal FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov. Students who received a grant during the 2019-20 academic year through the Chafee ETG Program do not need to complete an application for 2020-21. Students who received a grant during 2019-20 and transferred to a different institution for 2020-21 should notify PHEAA via email to email@example.com or by calling 1-800-692-7392.