Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program
The Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program provides a waiver for tuition and mandatory fees charged by most postsecondary institutions located in the Commonwealth for youth who are or were in foster care.
This waiver applies only to charges that remain after all other gift aid (federal, state, and other scholarships or grants) have been applied to the student’s account.
Am I Eligible?
To be considered for a Fostering Independence Tuition Education Waiver, you must:
- Be a Pennsylvania resident
- Have not reached the age of 26 by July 1 of the upcoming academic year for which the FosterEd waiver is received
- Have received a high school diploma or received a Commonwealth Secondary School Diploma
- Be eligible for services under Pennsylvania's John H. Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood
- Be identified as a youth who is or was in foster care, or was discharged from foster care on or after attaining age 16, OR has exited foster care on or after age 16 to adoption or permanent legal guardianship
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate, at least half time in a postsecondary institution that is approved by the U.S. Department of Education for Title IV student assistance programs
- Demonstrate financial need for the PA Chafee Education and Training Grant (as determined by the postsecondary institution)
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (as determined by the postsecondary institution)
- Not be in default on a federal student loan or owe a refund on other Title IV aid
- Have not received FosterEd waiver for 5 years (consecutive or not), defined as 10 semesters or the equivalent for undergraduate study
- File a 2020-21 FAFSA® (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
How Do I Receive the Waiver?
- File the FAFSA
- Enroll in a PA postsecondary institution approved by the U.S. Department of Education for Title IV funding.
- You must apply for and be eligible for the Chafee Education and Training Grant (Chafee ETG).
Mail or fax your completed Chafee ETG application (PDF) to:
State Grant and Special Programs
P.O. Box 8157
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8157
Fax: (717) 720-3786
Students who wish to appeal their eligibility determination can do so by emailing FosterEd@pheaa.org.