Children of POW/MIA Soldiers

PHEAA offers a special state grant to the children of any soldier in the U.S. Armed Forces who has been declared as a prisoner of war (POW) or missing in action (MIA).

Am I Eligible?

You must be the child of a soldier who has been designated as a POW or MIA. In addition, the POW/MIA soldier must have:

  • Served on active duty after January 31, 1955
  • Been a resident of Pennsylvania for at least the 12 months before serving on active duty
  • Not deserted, defected to the enemy, or been discharged under conditions other than "honorable"

How Much Can I Expect to Receive?

The maximum award amount is $1,200, but availability is dependent on state funding.

How Do I Apply?

  1. Call to get a POW/MIA application:

    1-800-692-7392 (toll-free)
    TTY: Dial 711 (for hearing impaired)

  2. File the FAFSA® (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and the POW/MIA application.

File as early as possible. Applications received at PHEAA before April 1 of the spring term for which you are requesting aid may be eligible for funding for the full academic year, funds permitting.