Pennsylvania National Guard Military Family Education Program (MFEP)
Together with the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, PHEAA administers this tuition assistance program for dependents (spouses and children) of PA Guard Members who enter into an additional 6-year service commitment with the Pennsylvania National Guard.
To be considered for the MFEP, you must be:
- A Guard Member:
- Someone who completed an initial service obligation, on or after July 1, 2019, in the Pennsylvania National Guard and is eligible to reenlist in the Pennsylvania National Guard for a period of 6 years
- A Family Member:
- Someone who is a spouse or child of a Pennsylvania National Guard member who meets the above criteria and has had the benefit assigned to you.
- Someone who is enrolled in a degree or certificate-granting program of study at an approved Pennsylvania institution.
|Program of Study Type||Full-Time Attendance||Part-Time Attendance|
|Undergraduates and Graduates||
The lesser of:
The lesser of:
- The MFEP grant can be used for a degree-granting curriculum, a certificate-granting course of study, or training programs required for entrance into a specific career, for up to 5 academic years.
- Program eligibility is as determined by PHEAA, and the grant must be used at a PHEAA approved institution of higher learning up to 5 academic years.
- The PA Guard Member can assign the entire benefit to one dependent or a portion of the benefit to more than one dependent.
- If the PA Guard Member fails to honor the service commitment with the Pennsylvania National Guard, the total MFEP award amount must be repaid, plus interest.
- A spouse can use the assigned MFEP benefit up to 6 years after the member’s separation from the PA Guard.
- Children can use the assigned MFEP benefit before reaching 26 years of age.
- If you are a PA Guard Member, log in to Account Access or create an online account to complete your application and assign benefits to your eligible family members.
- If you are a spouse or child of a PA Guard Member and have been assigned MFEP benefits, log in to Account Access or create an online account to view your benefits or complete an application to use them.
- If you are not a service member in the Pennsylvania National Guard and want more information, go to PA Army National Guard or PA Air National Guard website, or visit the Air National Guard on Facebook.