PA Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver (FosterEd) Program FAQ
- What is a Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver?
An eligible student’s remaining tuition and mandatory fees will be eliminated after all federal and state gift aid is applied.
- Does the tuition waiver cover room and board?
No, the tuition waiver applies only to tuition and mandatory fees. It does not cover room and board.
- How long am I eligible to receive the waiver?
The tuition waiver may be applied up to 5 years, defined as 10 semesters or the equivalent, whether or not consecutive, until age 26.
- Will the tuition waiver cover existing education debt?
No, the tuition waiver will only be applied to tuition and mandatory fees charged starting in Fall 2020.
- Do I need to fill out a specific application?
Yes, you must submit a FAFSA® (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and a PA Chafee Education and Training Grant Program Application. You may also be required by your institution to apply for state aid. Your Point of Contact (POC) will be able to assist you in identifying further scholarships and grant opportunities.
- Is there anyone at my postsecodary institution who can help?
- Each school has a Point-of-Contact staff member available to support eligible students throughout their college careers with the following:
- Assistance in completing admissions and financial aid applications
- Obtaining verification of eligibility
- Providing referrals for on and off-campus resources and support services