Chafee Education and Training Grant (Chafee ETG) Program
This federally funded program offers grants to Pennsylvania undergraduate students aging out of foster care who are attending an eligible postsecondary institution.
PHEAA administers the Chafee ETG Program on behalf of the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services as authorized under the Foster Care Independence Act of 1999 and amended by the Promoting Safe and Stable Families Amendments of 2001 and the Family First Prevention Services Act of 2017.
To be considered for this grant, you must:
- Be a Pennsylvania resident
- Be eligible for services under Pennsylvania's John H. Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood
- Be identified as a youth in foster care or a youth discharged or adopted from foster care at age 16
- Have not reached the age of 26 by July 1 of the upcoming academic year for which Chafee ETG is received
- File a 2021-22 FAFSA® (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate, at least half time in a college or career school that is approved by the U.S. Department of Education for Title IV student assistance programs
- Demonstrate financial need for the grant (as determined by the postsecondary institution)
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (as determined by the postsecondary institution)
- Not be in default on a federal student loan or owe a refund on other Title IV aid
- Have not received Chafee ETG for 5 years (consecutive or not), defined as 10 semesters or the equivalent, for undergraduate study
- Have graduated from high school or have received a Commonwealth Secondary School Diploma
The maximum award under this program for the 2021-22 year is $6,000. For the 2022-23 year the award is $5,000. No award may exceed your cost of attendance minus any other financial aid you receive. Please note that the maximum award amount is subject to change due to Federal Grant levels.
For the 2022-23 academic year, the deadline is December 31, 2022.
- Complete the FAFSA®.
- Download and complete the Chafee ETG Program Application for the applicable year.
- Mail your completed application to:
PA State Grant and Special Programs
P.O. Box 8157
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8157
Fax: (717) 720-3786
You must complete a renewal FAFSA at studentaid.gov/FAFSA. Students who received a grant during the 2020-21 academic year through the Chafee ETG Program do not need to complete an application for 2021-22. Students who received a grant during the 2020-21 academic year and transferred to a different institution for the 2021-22 academic year should notify PHEAA via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-800-692-7392.
When you apply for the Chafee ETG Program, you will be evaluated to determine if you also qualify for the FosterEd Program. Applicants for the 2021-22 FosterEd Program should submit the 2021-22 Chafee ETG Application through May 1, 2022 (including consideration for 2022 Summer). Applicants for the 2022-23 FosterEd waiver (including consideration for the 2023 Summer) should submit the 2022-23 Chafee ETG Application by May 1, 2023.