PHEAA is currently looking for results oriented, customer service focused professionals for Loan Counselor positions in a fast-paced call center environment. Loan Counselor positions involve receiving in-bound and/or placing outbound calls regarding student loan accounts and may also involve speaking with delinquent customers as a result of customer contact. The job entails providing extraordinary customer service while providing information.
- These are entry-level, call center positions and on average, our counselors may answer approximately 8-10 calls per hour handling complex account issues.
- Interaction with customers are based on PHEAA policy, but some independence is necessary.
- Revise or make changes to account information such as address changes, name changes or other changes to an account while providing extraordinary customer service.
- Explain loan activity to customers while provide extraordinary customer service. Activity on loans could include: accruing interest, tax deduction, or the timing of payment posting.
- We provide a paid 3-8 week classroom training program which is a combination of lecture and practice on live customer accounts. Due to the amount and complexity of information, time off will not be permitted during the training period.
- Required Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Computer literacy and knowledge of MS Office
Preferred Qualifications and/or Experience:
- Associates degree and two years’ experience working in an administrative role providing exceptional customer service
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office Suite including intermediate knowledge of Word and Microsoft Excel
- Two years of customer service work experience.
We reward Loan Counselors' hard work and dedication, and their contributions to the Agency's public service mission. Regular increases are established for continued service as outlined below.
- $13.00 - After completing 2 months of continuous service since the most recent date of hire
- $13.50 - After completing 6 months of continuous service since the most recent date of hire
- $14.00 - After completing 9 months of continuous service since the most recent date of hire
(includes shift differential)
Employees working a shift beginning 11:30 a.m. or later will earn an additional $1.00/hour
State Employees Retirement System (SERS)
Candidates working an average of 30 hours per week (1560 hours per year) are offered our medical benefit program which is the Pennsylvania Employees Benefit Trust Fund (PEBTF) Bronze Plan. Candidates are eligible for tuition reimbursement, participation in a deferred compensation program, paid holidays, and after working 750 hours, will earn vacation and sick leave. Candidates will contribute to the State Employees Retirement System.
- Seven paid holidays & Earn paid vacation and sick time after working 750 hours
- Convenient access to public transportation
- Onsite Daycare*
- Free on-site parking
- Fitness Center*
*Not available at all locations.
Created in 1963 by the Pennsylvania General Assembly, the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) has evolved into one of the nation's leading student aid organizations. Today, PHEAA is a national provider of student financial aid services, serving millions of students and thousands of schools through its loan guaranty, loan servicing, financial aid processing, outreach, and other student aid programs.
PHEAA's earnings are used to support its public service mission and to pay its operating costs, including administration of the Pennsylvania State Grant and other state-funded student aid programs. PHEAA continues to devote its energy, resources, and imagination to developing innovative ways to ease the financial burden of higher education for students, families, schools, and taxpayers.
PHEAA conducts its student loan servicing activities nationally as American Education Services (AES) and FedLoan Servicing (FLS). #LI-SH1
PHEAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer