Pennsylvania State Grant Program: Prepare
A Pennsylvania State Grant is based on financial need. Before you complete the form, learn what you will need to apply, and what the eligibility criteria are.
Am I Eligible?
You may be eligible if you demonstrate financial need and meet specific requirements.
- Are a high school graduate as stipulated in the Pennsylvania State Grant law
- Attend a postsecondary school approved by PHEAA for Pennsylvania State Grant purposes
- Are enrolled at least half-time (defined as at least six semester credits but less than 12 semester credits per semester, or the equivalent)
- Be unconditionally admitted and enrolled in an approved program of study of at least 2 academic years in length
- Are enrolled in a program of study where at least 50% of the total credit or clock hours needed for completion of the program are earned through classroom instruction:
- The program itself must be structured to allow you to complete at least 50% of your credits or clock hours in the classroom.
- Your enrollment pattern by term must also consist of at least 50% classroom instruction (unless you have a medical disability (PDF)).
- Have made satisfactory academic progress (as defined by PHEAA)
- Not have already earned a bachelor's degree or its equivalent
- Are a Pennsylvania resident, as stipulated in the Pennsylvania State Grant law
- Are of satisfactory character (for example, not be incarcerated)
- Not have received the maximum number of Pennsylvania State Grants permitted
- Not be in default or pending default on an educational loan. This also applies to any program where the award has been converted to a loan and the loan is in a default status.
- File and complete the application process by the appropriate deadlines
For more detail, read the Rights and Responsibilities Certification Document (PDF).
What Should I do Before I Apply?
Create an account through Account Access, an online student aid management tool operated by American Education Services, a division of PHEAA. You will be redirected to this site during the FAFSA® process, so creating an account now will cut down on what you need to do in the future.
Here's some information that you'll want to have ready.
- If applicable, the month and year your diploma was received (for High School or GED)
- Your Social Security number, not your parent's or guardian's. This will alleviate any processing issues.
- If married, your spouse's 9-digit Social Security number
- If you have a savings account through PA 529 or PA ABLE, you may need a recent account statement for the total savings, or visit pa529.com or paable.gov.
How Much Can I Expect to Receive?
The amount of money you can expect to receive is based on your financial situation, as well as the type of school you choose to attend in Pennsylvania.
The following is only a guideline. The percentages indicate the number of applicants at each income level who may qualify for a Pennsylvania State Grant.
The PA State Grant Program Has Awarded More Than $11 Billion To Pennsylvania
Residents Since 1965.
Percentage Of Applicants Receiving State Grant Awards 2017-18*
Average Tuition & Fees
|Parents Annual Income|
|PA State System
|PA State-Related School
|PA Community College
|Business, Trade, or Technical School
Source: *Data from 2017-2018 State Grant statistics created January 26, 2018
** Projected average enrollment-weighted tuition and fees for 2018-2019
NOTE: If you plan on attending a school located outside of Pennsylvania, the maximum allowable award, subject to potential adjustment, is:
Sign In/Create Account to:
- Apply for a State Grant
- View State Grant status
- Update address or school info
- or Create Account
NOTE: Effective March 1, 2018, information about a State Grant or Special Programs applicant/recipient will only be released to the student and authorized third parties. PHEAA will also no longer honor any prior third party authorization forms. We apologize for any inconvenience and encourage the applicant/recipient to contact us directly to learn more about his/her account status.
State Grant FAQ
- How do you determine my Pennsylvania State Grant eligibility?
- How do I make corrections to the information on my State Grant Form?
- How will I receive my State Grant funds?
Documents & Forms
- State Grant Program Manual (PDF)
- Rights and Responsibilities Certification Document (PDF)
- ADA Accommodation Request Form (PDF)