Filing the FAFSA® adds up to $$ for college.
If you do not submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), you could miss out on free money and low-cost loans for school. Filling out the application is easier than you think. And it's free!
Complete the FAFSA as soon as you can after January 1, although individual financial aid deadlines can vary by school, state, program of study, and more.
You must complete the FAFSA to qualify for:
- Federal aid programs—Pell grants, Perkins loans, Stafford Loans, work-study employment
- Pennsylvania state aid programs—the Pennsylvania State Grant Program, work-study employment
- School aid programs—private grants, need-based scholarships
Keep your stress level low—know your deadlines, gather your documents, and get organized.
Fill out the FAFSA once and simply update it every year that you need aid. The fastest, easiest way to apply/renew is online.
Find out what you can expect after you apply/renew your FAFSA.
Did You Know?
- Be wary of organizations that charge a fee to assist you with the FAFSA. Much of the same help is available for free from your school, the U.S. Department of Education, and PHEAA.
- Not all financial aid offers are the same. Compare schools' financial aid offers carefully.
- Part-time students are eligible for most types of aid. However, some federal, state-sponsored, and institutional programs require full-time enrollment.
Need Help Completing the FAFSA?
- Find a free FAFSA Completion Help Event near you
- 2015 FAFSA Overview
- Financial Aid Overview - Everything You Need to Know for 2015
- 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA: Student's Guide to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- PA State Grant Application Form - 2015
- Scholarships to Help Pay for Higher Education - 2015
- Visit your school’s financial aid website or contact the Financial Aid Office.
- Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC):
by teletype1-800-730-8913 (TTY)
Tools & Resources
- Federal Student Aid PIN
- FAFSA on the Web
- FAFSA on the Web Worksheet
- FAFSA Reference Guide (PDF)
- College Calendar